Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Not sure what to do...any advice would be helpful.

Dr just got back to me about D&C.  She can't get me in to surgery center until next Tuesday..I had been hoping to get this dealt with this week because next week Wed and Thur I have two big workdays offsite where I will be in a big room with our entire corporate team.  Lots of team building and interacting etc.  I'm even staying at the offsite location one night. 

So my other options are to use the pills again and just deal with the pain and bleeding.  I know what to expect so I am less concerned about it than DH.  It was awful but manageable.  Choice #2 is to have a D&C in the office under local anesthesia.  I'm not so much a fan of this and would prefer the pills at home.

Choice #1 is the pills and my concern with that is complications but I could be through with things by the end of the week and have already requested to work from home this week so no disruption really in work.  I didn't have any complications last time but my HCG levels took a long time to come down..I think it was about 8 weeks and that was trying plus it was painful and distressing.  On the other hand I was in the comfort of my own home.

Choice #2 is the D&C on Tuesday and hope that I have no issues with going to the offsite on Wed.  I really have no idea what to expect but remember after my hysteroscopy being quite sick that day and taking the next couple of days off to lay around on the couch.  Benefits of this is that it would be over and from what I've read unless they miss some placenta the HCG levels will come down quite quickly.  I've also read there's less bleeding and minimal cramping so there's that.

Choice #3 is the D&C in the office on Friday under local anesthesia in her office.  This is my least favorite choice mostly because I have no idea what to expect and the fact that they routinely do these in the surgery center under general anesthesia makes me think this is something I might regret trying to do with a local...this right now is my least favorite choice.  On the other hand I have had an HSG and the other die test forget the name and have heard that those are quite painful for a lot of people and did not have issues with them myself other than some bleeding after the HSG due to the catheter having to be put in multiple times after my RE popped the ballon that's supposed to hold it in place.

I think I may have made my decision to use the medically managed with pills but please if anyone can bear to relive a prior experience and let me know what their opinion is I would appreciate it so much.  I know this is not an easy topic to relive though so I totally understand if you don't wish to share.

Thanks so much for all of you that have stuck with me even though I abandoned this forum for awhile.  And while going through your own trials and troubles.  It has meant so much to me to have this forum to say what I can't say in real life to people who are clueless about these things and it's meant even more to have the feedback and friendship from all of you.


Lisa said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this....again. I don't have any words of wisdom for you in terms of which option you should choose, but I am here and keeping you in my thoughts always. xoxo

Mrs. Misfits said...

Don't do #3. the D&C w/o being under was one of the worst things I've had. Email me if you want more detail.

I'd schedule the D&C when it makes sense for work. I can't tell if the releif of having it already done would be better than the physical recovery in a not ideal was.

Shitballs on all options. :( Sorry. I hate this part.

Augusta said...

I am so sorry this is happening. I'm so sorry that you now have to make this difficult choice.
I've only had 1 m/c and chose a D&C. Misfit helped me a great deal to sort out what would be the best option at that time, so my best recommendation is to take her advice and listen to your own gut feeling.

Jen said...

So sorry you have this is happening under this already difficult time. Both my miscarriages were already in progress, heavy bleeding when went to ER and Doc. The first I spent most of the night in the ER and then they release me (I didn't have a clue what was going to happen when I got home), told me to take pain meds if it got bad, which it did and I miscarried at home. The second, I had an appt. to see my doc. already and the miscarriage was already happening so she just gave me the pills and I went home (again). Mine were very quick within 24 hours. I never wanted or had a D&C so can't comment on that. Do what makes the most sense for you and your well-being is my advice and try not to let your job/work dictate how this plays out - you don't want to have any regrets. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I've had a scheduled D&C, and also misoprostol (twice).

I'd choose the scheduled D&C.

(I've heard that misoprostol is less painful with a cervix that has had a vaginal birth, and even under the best of circumstances, it's unpredictable.)

I'm sorry that you have to make such an unpalatable decision.

Anonymous said...

First and foremost, so sorry you have to go through this. I have been in a similar position. I've had two D&Cs (including one following unsuccessful administration of misoprostol) and a "natural" miscarriage, and I would strongly recommend the D&C with general anesthesia if you have scheduling concerns. I recovered incredibly quickly from both my D&Cs (physically speaking, that is) and was back at work the same day with the second. I would not recommend option #3 -- I haven't done it, but am guided by Misfit's experience and my own sense that the general anesthesia option is not that bad. Re misoprostol, I had an incredibly frustrating experience: the pills simply didn't work, and I ended up needing a D&C anyway. You should also know that the statistics about completing a miscarriage via misoprostol are based on a ~35-day period -- i.e., success is measured if the miscarriage occurs at any time during a five-week period following administration of the pills. That uncertainty/unpredictability really diminishes this option in my mind. I should add, however, that if you're in a state where you can use mifepristone along with misoprostol (impossible in many states (including my own) via a doctor's office), the combination may mitigate the unpredictability of the timing. Regardless, best of luck and please know that we all support you.